Class Description: This class provides instruction in using State Library of Oregon databases/resources as well as external resources in the area of law and legislation including: Oregon statutes, regulations and bills as well as access to case law, legal periodicals. If time allows, federal resources will also be mentioned.
What will I learn?: Class attendees will gain knowledge regarding the effective use of Oregon State Library law and legislation resources and databases. These resources include a Lexis-Nexis database, State Capital, regarding both Oregon & other U.S. States governmental actions and legislative efforts. In addition, attendees will learn how to track bills, statutory changes and government announcements. Internet resources that provide access to law and legislative resources and information will also be discussed.
Class Level: Intermediate - Advanced
Registration: Register for this class HERE via your iLearn account.
Depending upon student registration and needs, topics that may be covered include:
- Registration for Library Services
- Log-on/Access to Library services & products
- Brief State Library web page orientation - http://library.state.or.us
- Ordering Articles
- State Library of Oregon Databases - Law & Legislation
- Lexis/Nexis Resource (if applicable) & ProQuest Congressional
Current Legislative Session
- Using Oregon Legislative Online System (OLIS) & Legislative Website effectively
- Legislative “Tips & Tricks”
- Proquest Congressional – Basic/Advanced Search
Past Legislative Action
- Performing Legislative Histories
- State of Oregon Law Library Resources – Hein Online – Oregon Laws Collection
- Online vs. Paper - When to use what?
- Where to go for what?
- State Archives
- Lexis/Nexis Resource (if applicable) - Measure Backfile Search & Annotated Statutes
Future/Comparative Legislative Work
- Newspaper Resources – News Tracking (National/Regional/Local)
- State Library eClips
- Google News & Other Aggregators
- Lexis/Nexis Resource (if applicable) - Measure search in other U.S. States
- Legislative Resource Sites – NCSL, CSG, Pew – Stateline, Magazines/Journals (eg. Governing)
- Oregon Administrative Rules
- Search alerts – databases
- Other resources
- State Library – ProQuest Congressional, Serial Set, Committee prints/hearings/reports
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Federal Register
- State of Oregon Law Library Resources (FastCase)
- State Library of Oregon Legal journals/ordering
- Thursday, January 30, 2020
- 10:30am - 12:00pm